Web Links + Research
CLICK TITLES TO EXPAND
Refer to the Parent Technical Assistance Center Network to find a Parent Training and Information Center in your area.
Visit STOMP (Specialized Training Of Military Parents) for Parent Training and Information Center services for parents in the military.
CPIR serves as a central resource of information and products to the community of Parent Training Information Centers and the Community Parent Resource Centers, so that they can focus their efforts on serving families of children with disabilities.
- California Dept. of Developmental Services – The Dept. of Developmental Services provides services and supports to individuals with developmental disabilities.
- California Dept. of Education, Special Education Division – A great resource on state laws, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- California Office of Administrative Hearings, Special Education Division – The Office of Administrative Hearings contracts with the California Department of Education (CDE) to handle the special education due process hearing and mediation program for California
- Commission on Teacher Credentialing – To learn if a teacher holds a California teaching credential, visit the CTC website, go to “look up a credential,” and type in the name of the teacher.
- California Family Resource Center Network – Provides a list of family resource centers that are funded by the California Department of Developmental Services.
- MilitaryK12Partners – Resources and Special Education modules to assist schools that serve military families.
- National Center for Education Statistics – Provides information about the Title I status of your child’s school.
- Office for Civil Rights – Ensuring equal access to education and promoting educational excellence throughout the nation through vigorous enforcement of civil rights.
- Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services – Information and resources related to special education.
- State Council on Developmental Disabilities (SCDD) – The SCDD is an independent state agency established in federal and state law to assist in planning, coordinating, monitoring, and evaluating services for individuals with developmental disabilities.
- U.S. Dept. of Education – Information and resources for different audiences, including parents and teachers, as well as links to local boards of education, vocational rehabilitation and adult education.
- U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services: My Family Health Portrait – Provided by the Surgeon General, this online tool allows you to create and store information on your family health history.
- A free guide from Autism Parenting Magazine
- Autism Society of America
The voice of the autism community
- Bipolar Advantage
Helping people with mental conditions shift their thinking and behavior so that they can lead extraordinary lives
- Bipolar Advantage YouTube Channel
Video lectures from the Bipolar Advantage Program
- Bipolar Disorder
Bipolar disorder resources from HealthLine
- Birth Injury Guide
A comprehensive guide for families coping with birth trauma, including CP, Erb’s palsy and infant brain damage
- Care.com Caregiver Guide for Special Needs
Information and advice to overcome daily challenges and understand common disorders and conditions
- Cerebral Palsy Guidance
Vital guidance and assistance to parents of children with cerebral palsy
- Cerebral Palsy Guide
Free educational materials, financial options and emotional support for those affected by cerebral palsy
Children and adults with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder
- Disability Scoop
The premier source for developmental disability news
- Dyspraxia USA
General information and resources for coping with dyspraxia
This website has useful articles on teen drug and alcohol abuse and on co-occurring disorders.
- Epilepsy Foundation of America
Trusted, reliable information for people with seizures
- LD OnLine
The world’s leading website on learning disabilities and ADHD
Learning Disabilities Association of America
- Mental Health Advocacy Services
Information on educationally-related mental health services
National Alliance on Mental Illness
- National Center for Learning Disabilities
Ensuring success for all individuals with learning disabilities in school, at work and in life
- National Organization for Rare Disorders
A federation dedicated to helping people with rare diseases
- Orange County Deaf Advocacy Center
A community resource for people with hearing and other disabilities
Matching host families with professional Au Pairs, including those with special education and disability training
- Recording for the Blind and Dyslexic
The nation’s educational library for those with print disabilities
- Sensory Time
A child developmental center for the sensory needs in the special needs
- Top Mental Health Challenges Facing Students
This guide helps to identify the signs and symptoms of common mental health issues for college students and when and where to seek help (from BestColleges.com).
- Turner Syndrome Foundation
Working to increase professional awareness and enhance medical care of those affected by Turner syndrome
- Disability Rights California
California’s protection and advocacy system
- Ericae.net: A Teacher’s Resource
Teaching students with disabilities (from the Ericae.net Clearinghouse on Assessment and Evaluation)
- Exceptional Parent Magazine
Resources for parents of children with disabilities and special health care needs
Questions and answers about the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act
- Family Voices
Speaking on behalf of children and youth with special health care needs
- Family Web 2.0
A network where parents can come together to support one another by sharing information, experiences and knowledge
- Graduate School Success for Students with Disabilities
Scholarschips, support resources, and expert insight for achieving an advanced degree (from GoGrad.com)
- Inclusion Research Institute
Publishes a weekly report of events important to individuals with disabilities
- ISER: Internet Special Education Resources
Special education, special needs assessment, therapy, schools, software, resources for children and teens with learning differences
- Malpractice Center
Provides nformation on different types of pediatric malpractice, birth injuries, and state-by-state malpractice laws and limitations in hopes of reducing these types of injuries.
Website on smarter financial decisions includes a Guide for Scholarschips and Grants for Students with Disabilities and Resources and Funding Strategies for Independent Living
- National Council on Disabilities
Independent federal agency advising the government on disability issues
- National Disability Rights Network
Provides legally-based advocacy services to people with disabilities
- National Health Law Center
A national public interest law firm seeking to improve health care
- National Parent Helpline
Emotional support for parents from trained advocates
National Information Center for Children and Youth with Disabilities
National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
- OSEP Spanish Glossary Project
Common educational terms translated into Spanish
- PACER Center
Parent Advocacy Coalition for Education Rights
- Refinance and Mortgage Guide for People with Disabilities
Resources and information about the processes associated with real estate purchase.
- The Simple Dollar’s Social Security Disability Benefits Guide
Understand how Social Security disability works and how to calculate benefits.
- Special Child
For parents of children with disabilities
- Special Education Guide
Resources for parents and instructors, including guides to disability categories, Response to Intervention, obtaining a Master’s degree in Special Education and more!
Special Education Resources on the Internet
- Special Needs in My City
Helping families find special needs resources and events in their community
- Total Education Solutions
Provides innovative, quality educational services to individuals with exceptional needs
- We Connect Now
Dedicated to uniting people interested in rights and issues affecting people with disabilities, with particular emphasis on college students and access to higher education and employment issues
- Abilities Expoo: Events for people with disabilities.
- Alliance for Technology Access
A network of community-based resource centers, developers and vendors dedicated to providing information and support services to children and adults with disabilities and increasing their use of standard, assistive and information technologies.
- AT Network
Dedicated to expanding the accessibility of tools, resources and technology that will help increase independence, improve personal productivity and enhance the quality of life for all Californians.
- AT Network Guide to Easier Living with Technology
A guide to using assistive technology in day to day life for greater independence, this online guide from the AT Network features lots of great examples!
- AT Kratter and Company
Technology for people with visual and reading disabilities.
Practical products and creative solutions for teaching children with disabilities.
- Attainment Family
Products for families supporting children and adults with special needs.
Assistive technology news portal.
- Family Center on Technology and Disability
Offers a range of information and services on the subject of assistive technology.
- If I Need Help
QR codes and profiles for loved ones who may wander; when lost or needing help, their code can be scanned or manually entered on the website to access contact information.
- K5 Stars
An online learning center that helps every child become a star learner.
- Recording for the Blind and Dyslexic
Materials for all people who cannot effectively read standard print because of a visual, perceptual or other physical disability.
- Teaching Learners with Special Needs
Resources and ideas for teachers of learners with severe, profund, intensive, significant, complex, or multiple special needs.